Although the Council has always tried to protect the voluntary and community sector it is does not look good for 2014 when a large amount of three-year funding runs out. We now spend a significant amount of time thinking of money spinning ideas and community fund raising events such as the upcoming Christmas fairs become a major fundraising event for groups.
This month I have attended:
• The Library Management Board Meeting which I chair
• The Ackroyd Management Meeting which I chair
• A meeting to develop the Neighbourhood Forum which will be going to the Crofton Park Ward Assembly for approval on 12 November
• EPSP Steering Group
• A councillors’ surgery
• EPSP’s Black History Month event where I read Maya Angelou’s very saucy poem, Phenominal Women – fortunately it was well received
• My employment service is going well in the Library and I am now starting a Scrabble club in the Library on Tuesday afternoons
• A meeting to work on the proposal to build a community garden on railway land along the side of Marnock Road.
I also organised a three-ward meeting for Crofton Park, Brockley and Ladywell Wards with Colin Crooks, social entrepreneur and former Lambeth councillor, discussing how to create jobs. It was great to see more Crofton Park party members attend what was a very successful and interesting evening.